With the Postmark CX App integration in ActiveCampaign, you can easily use your ActiveCampaign's automations to trigger transactional emails to be sent through your Postmark account. Combine the power of ActiveCampaign's versatile automations with Postmark's legendary transactional email sending infrastructure.
🗂 Jump ahead
💡 Keep In Mind
- You will need both an ActiveCampaign and an approved Postmark account to use the CX app integration. If you don't have a Postmark account, we have a great Getting Started With Postmark guide to help, as well as details on how Postmark's Approval process works.
- The Postmark CX app lives and takes place within your ActiveCampaign account. The app then sends the messages through your Postmark account, where you can then view the message's activity and events.
- ActiveCampaign's personalization placeholders use a different syntax in CX apps. If you are using personalizations in your ActiveCampaign templates, please be sure to use the correct syntax for your personalization fields. Only Contact fields are supported. More on that here.
Connect the Postmark CX App in ActiveCampaign#
Connecting the Postmark CX App in ActiveCampaign is simple. However, first make sure you have both an ActiveCampaign account and Postmark account created. Once done, head over to your ActiveCampaign account and there connect the CX app by:
- Within your ActiveCampaign account click the "Automations" tab on the left menu.
- Create or edit an automation.
- Add an action, click the "CX Apps" tab, and select the Postmark "Send a transactional email" action.
- Enter your Postmark Account API Token into the CX app and then click "Connect". The Postmark Account API Token can be found under the API Tokens tab in your Postmark account. A reminder that your Postmark account must first be approved for sending.
- Set your settings to use for sending the transactional emails through Postmark, specifically:
- Postmark Server
Select the Server within your Postmark account you wish to connect the Postmark CX app to.
- Message Stream
Select the Message Stream from your Postmark server that you wish to connect the Postmark CX app to. Only your server's Transactional Message Streams will be selectable.
Select a template from within your ActiveCampaign account that you want to use for the transactional email (only a raw HTML template or a template built in the Classic Builder will work). If you are using personalization you will need to modify the template to support the CX App personalization syntax.
❗️ It is not possible to select a template that's within your Postmark server (however, you can take your Postmark template's HTML and import it into ActiveCampaign).
- Message Subject
A text field to enter your message's subject line, with the capability of adding personalization tags.
- From Address
The From address you'd like to use for your transactional email. This drop down will include all verified individual Sender Signature email addresses within your Postmark account. If you need to add a new FROM address for sending, you have two options within your Postmark account:
- Authenticate your entire domain
We recommend that you authenticate your overall domain using DKIM within Postmark, as that will greatly increase your deliverability when sending. More here on authenticating a domain using DKIM within Postmark.
Once the domain is verified, you will still need to add an individual Sender Signature email address—that's the email address that will be used as the FROM address when sending emails using the Postmark CX app in ActiveCampaign. Click the blue “Add Signature” button below your domain within the Sender Signatures tab and add the individual email addresses to use for the FROM address.
⚠️ Please note: Adding an individual email address to a DKIM verified domain will not trigger a verification email. The email address will automatically be verified once added. Easy!
- Verify a single email address
If you’re not able to authenticate an entire domain using DKIM, you can instead add individual sender signature email addresses. To do so, click on the Sender Signatures tab within your Postmark account, click the “Add Domain or Signature” button, and select the single email address option. A verification link will be sent to the added email address, and once confirmed it will appear in the Postmark CX App as a FROM address in the drop down menu.
- Authenticate your entire domain
- Track Opens
Choose whether to track opens for this message. Open tracking will only take place within Postmark, and not within ActiveCampaign.
- Track Clicks
Choose whether to track link clicks for this message. Click link tracking will only take place within Postmark, and not within ActiveCampaign.
- Postmark Server
- Click the "Finish" button and you're all set! When a Contact reaches this action in your automation, a transactional email will be sent using the options you selected in the Message Settings step.
Using ActiveCampaign Templates#
The Postmark CX app for ActiveCampaign will pull templates from your ActiveCampaign account, not from your Postmark account.
We recommend using the “Classic” email designer within ActiveCampaign. Due to the way the template content is stored in ActiveCampaign's platform, templates built using the newer designer will automatically include the unmodifiable footer content at send time. However, the unsubscribe and sender placeholders will not be personalized. If you choose a “Classic” template or HTML template, although the footer will still be visible in the designer, it will not be included in the message at the time of sending.
In the following example, the “Classic” designer is on the right, and the received email message visible in the Postmark Activity log is on the left (without the footer).
Import your own HTML templates#
If you'd like to import your own HTML templates (for example, the HTML of one of your Postmark templates), you can use the following instructions to import the template's code into your ActiveCampaign account:
- In your ActiveCampaign account, click "Campaigns" > "Campaign Templates".
- Click the “Create a Template” button.
- Click the "Custom HTML" option and click "Continue".
- Paste your HTML content into the editor.
- If you are using personalizations, please be sure to update any placeholders in your content to use the correct syntax for this integration.
- Give your template a name by clicking on the "New Template" button and editing the text.
- Click "Save and exit".
Personalizations in ActiveCampaign template content#
In order for personalizations to work correctly within your ActiveCampaign's templates, the proper placeholder syntax must be used. The syntax for personalizations supported in CX apps is different from the normal personalization fields in ActiveCampaign templates. It is important to use the correct personalization syntax, or the fields will not be substituted properly and may be left blank in your message content.
For ActiveCampaign templates used in this integration, Standard fields must use “camelCase” rather than full uppercase as they normally would be in ActiveCampaign templates. The following Standard fields are supported:
- Email: %email%
- First Name: %firstName%
- Last Name: %lastName%
- Phone Number: %phone%
Custom fields are represented by the custom field id value rather than the name. For example, I have a Custom Field called “Favorite Color” with an id of 3. This would be represented by the personalization tag %3% rather than %FAVORITE_COLOR%.
Your ActiveCampaign templates must include the id-based syntax for personalizations or the substitutions will not occur properly. To find the correct id for your custom fields you can use the Personalize dropdown when setting up the app (see below) or you can make an ActiveCampaign API call to https://youraccountname.api-us1.com/api/3/fields.
Choose a personalization from the dropdown to see the correct placeholder to add to your templates:
If you are using this trick to find the correct personalization placeholders, please be sure to delete them from the text area afterward.
💌 Get in touch!#
And there you have it! Now you have a simple way to send transactional emails through your Postmark account, using ActiveCampaign's automations as triggers. If you have any questions or feedback about the integration, don't hesitate to contact Postmark's support team. We'd love to hear from you!
💡 We're currently working on an even more in-depth integration between ActiveCampaign and Postmark, so stay tuned! If you have any thoughts or ideas on ways you'd love to see the two integrate, don't hesitate to let us know!